A view into the life of a family who encountered a different future than expected, but has become all the richer for it.

Download Heather's NEW Album!!

Download or order a copy of Heather's NEW album Meet Us Here from www.cdbaby.com/heathermessick

Visit Heather's BandPage!!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Does It Ever Get Any Easier?

I asked myself and the Lord this question today as I sobbed while taking a shower at 1:30pm. That was the earliest I could get myself cleaned up since Mark was at Upward Basketball all day (he is in charge of it at our church) and all three girls were at home with me today. By 1:30pm today, I was emotionally worn out from trying to keep my kids from tearing the house apart. Times can be so challenging with three small girls, although I'm very thankful for my family.

Victoria is the least of my worries these days. She is coming out in her personality and is so pleasant to be around. The only thing she does that stresses me out is that she spits at me when I try to feed her spoonfuls of food. That gets quite aggravating. I just do the best I can and pray that she gets what she needs from nursing and her juices. Other than that, she is a joy!

Oh, Elyssa and Natalie! They are a challenge at every turn it seems. They play really well together at times, but then they fight quite a bit other times. That grates on my nerves, as you can imagine. There are a few too many hormones in our house and I'm starting to really tell it now! They both have very different personalities but when they behave, it's fun to see what cute little girls they are becoming.

Elyssa is really starting to become more emotional and sensitive. I've tried not to laugh when she gets so upset about the silliest things. I guess I was that way once before (I probably still am!). There is quite the dramatic flare to this little girl. I believe she could be a good actress one day!

Natalie has such a funny personality. However, she is now in her "terrible 2's" and she has begun to rebel against authority some. I've had to be more assertive with her when she disobeys or starts to throw a tantrum. She is a little quicker to straighten up than Elyssa, so I'm thankful for that. I think Natalie will be the "ham" of the family. She is a jokester, for sure. She is always singing and acting funny. I think her middle name will really describe her as she grows! Her middle name is "Joy."

After reviewing how thankful I am, I'm left with a string of questions. Do you ever feel tired of disciplining? Tired of being stern all day long so your kids behave in your home? I feel so many times that I never get to just be "me." I can't just let my guard down and enjoy my surroundings. If I do let my guard down, my surroundings get pounced upon by my two oldest kids!

I find myself yearning for a few years down the road when my kids are older. I'm praying by that point, they will have calmed down and started behaving better. I would love to have a much less dramatic home and just enjoy being around each other instead of my constantly having to yell, "No ma'am!" or "Stop it!" or "Put that down!" or "Get off of that couch arm!" ... and the list goes on!

I guess that is my life right now. Drama and more drama. Sickness and more sickness. Laughs and more laughs. I do love my life and my family. Sometimes, I just need to take a LONG bubble bath and say, "Calgon, take me away!"

4 comments:

The Coles said...

Heather,
I know I only have 1, but I definitely have days where i feel like the wicked withch of Saraland. I feel like the "bad guy" and that Meredith has no clue that I can be fun... I need the bubble bath some days too (without Meredith in the bathroom with me =)!)

The Coles said...

witch that is

Angel said...

you got it ! this is life right now! locking yourself in the bathroom with a long bath bubbles & candles & music does help ! (when there is no where else to go !) I can so relate to long days with no help ! My mom says " this too shall pass" and I bet it just gets harder as they are older... discipline is a constant. When it gets to me... I remind myself that one day when things may become more complicated.. I will long for the days when they were small and drove me nuts! you can always just join them in wrecking the house... or have a no rules day! To give yourself a break! oh and lots of " mommy time outs!" We can do this! but take care of you ! this is my lesson I struggle with.
sorry such a long post!

vikki said...

Hello Heather!
Girl,I know EXACTLY how you feel!! I am now home-schooling and it is quite challenging to be home with three little ones all day long! Talk about getting on my nerves!! I feel guilty for saying that because they are really good kids and I am so thankful for my three little gifts from God. But today has been one of those days. I have a tremendous headache right now from telling them all day long "stop doing this, stop doing that, look at all the mud you've just tracked in, get off the furniture, etc. I had to change all three of their clothes TWICE today because they were caked in mud from making mudpies. I was just not in the mood to put up with this today. Thank goodness Ronald is giving me a break tomorrow :). I am encouraged by your blogs. Thank you for sharing your life. You have a precious family!