A view into the life of a family who encountered a different future than expected, but has become all the richer for it.

Download Heather's NEW Album!!

Download or order a copy of Heather's NEW album Meet Us Here from www.cdbaby.com/heathermessick

Visit Heather's BandPage!!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Potty Training Already?

Today was a nice day. After a full week of Vacation Bible School it was nice to stay home and get some things done around the house. Mark cut grass and I put pine straw out in the yard along with cleaning inside the house and washing clothes. It was a very productive day.

This afternoon, after I had already given Elyssa and Natalie a bath, I took Victoria into the bathroom to start her bath. I noticed her diaper was dry and decided to put her on the potty to see what she would do. I immediately said, "go tee tee." And, believe it or not ... my little one-year-old Down syndrome baby pottied! I couldn't believe it! I went crazy with praise for her and she just laughed. I really believe she knew what she was doing!

After Victoria's bath, I got her all dressed in her PJs. We were still in the bathroom and I said, "stand up." She was holding my fingers and she stood up. Wow! It is so encouraging to know she is understanding my commands! Then, I said, "walk." I backed up some, still holding onto her fingers, and she began taking steps! She took several steps before she decided to sit down. I was amazed! Praise the Lord that Victoria is responding so well! I was so excited to see her doing these new things! I ran into the bedroom, where Mark was doing some work on his computer, and told him all about the exciting things Victoria had just done. He was equally excited! Then, I began calling family to tell them the awesome news!
Some of you may not understand, but kids with Down syndrome and usually very slow to potty train. I know this is just a beginning, but I plan to keep introducing her to the potty training concept in hopes that she'll take to it sooner.

I just believe my little girl is special! God is helping her in so many ways and I couldn't be more thankful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I share in your excitement for Victoria's "potty visit" and her standing and step taking. We are just as excited when Marley does "new things", she stood last week for about 15 seconds and we all celebrated! They are both very special precious children.