A view into the life of a family who encountered a different future than expected, but has become all the richer for it.

Download Heather's NEW Album!!

Download or order a copy of Heather's NEW album Meet Us Here from www.cdbaby.com/heathermessick

Visit Heather's BandPage!!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Boldly Overwhelmed

Have you ever felt so overwhelmed that you feel your body wanting to scream? Some of you are shouting out a "hallelujah" about right now! For your entertainment, let me go through some of my list of "to do's" so you'll know why I'm feeling so crazy present day.

First of all, school will be starting soon for Elyssa and I'm having to purchase school supplies for her. (I cannot believe she is actually starting 3K!) I've still not finished that shopping. Also, I start teaching Commercial Voice soon at UM and need to get myself organized for that. This is a matter of just typing up some paperwork for my records, but it still involves me setting aside time to do it. On top of these things, we will be starting therapy programs soon with Victoria. Don't even ask me how this will fit into our lives! Being that we will meet with a person from Early Intervention weekly, I know this will involve more of our time for those appointments. Plus, they will be teaching me things that I need to do with Victoria during each day's activities to help further her development. Again, another time issue. PLUS, KidGrid (our church's family worship service) is starting back and I lead the praise team for that. I've got to lay out set lists, get my singers scheduled and also get music to them to start preparing for our first rehearsal.

I could go on and on, but I know you don't want to hear ALL of my woes. Basically, I'm feeling a little pulled in every direction and sometimes I feel myself on the verge of going nuts. I start asking myself, "Okay ... how do I keep up a house and manage things at home with everything going on in my life? Also, where is time for ME?" And, unfortunately, I've come to the realization that I will not be able to keep my house as clean and tidy as I would like to for a while, probably. Having three young kids in the house kinda thwarts that dream.

I can now surrender and boldly admit that I cannot keep up. That is where I am in my life today. I will try to do my best at everything on my plate, but my "ah ha" moment today tells me that it will not be possible for me to do everything as perfect as I would like. There is no use in beating myself up about it. Any "Amen's" from the choir yet? Anyone been there before?

So, I will live my life doing as much as I can to complete all of my tasks but I will definitely have to ... "Search for the Lord and for His strength and continually seek Him." (1 Chronicles 16:11) On the overwhelming days, I will pray Psalm 28:7. "The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust Him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. " Let us all burst out in songs of thanksgiving, having faith that God will give us what we need exactly when we need it. On the crazy school days, let us look to Him and rely on His strength.

Okay everyone, let's say it together - "Hallepenya!"

PS - Victoria had her checkup with her pediatrician today. She now weighs 10lbs, which is a huge praise! She had 4 shots, which was no fun, but, overall, it was a great visit. We love Dr. Faye!

PSS - My doctor still insisted yesterday at my appointment that I did have something viral, so I will just wait out my cold junk. I can tell that things are getting better, so that is good. He did have the lab draw some blood and they will check my thyroid since I've been experiencing some episodes of fatigue. Hopefully, it will be negative. I'm sure with everything going on, my "tiredness" has just caught up with me.

PSSS - Here is the cutest video of Elyssa singing "Swing Low Sweet Chariot." Those of us with extra-stressful days, might sing the song like this ... "carry, carry, carry me home!" You gotta love how kids sings songs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, can I ever relate!!! Two 5-week-old babies, a 4-year-old, and a 7-year-old all wanting my attention at the same time, and a house that is getting more and more difficult to find under all the mess!! AND, I will be homeschooling the older two in a few weeks with the twins in tow! Pray for me and I'll pray for you!

vikki said...

Hello Heather! I have been reading your blogs and have been very encouraged by them. I have laughed and I have cried. I am proud of how you have handled life! You are right, we could not do it without God. He is our helper and He gives us strength to get through our days. As you know, I have a 2yr old, a 3yr. old, and a 5 yr. old and they keep me pretty busy!! Like you said before, I, too, "love my life". What precious little gifts He has given us! May God continue to bless you! Vikki Pridgen

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I was reading your wonderful blogs and this one hit home. I remember that feeling of being overwhelmed when my boys were young. There were days when I was glad that I remembered to brush my teeth! Just to let you know, these days will pass quickly. Having two teen-age boys (18 & 15) gives me more "me" time but, trust me, I worry more about them now than I ever did when they were babies. Enjoy every exhausting moment. The house can wait! Learn to say "no" to people! When possible lock yourself in the bathroom, run a tub full of hot water and soak your tired body! And let the Lord take care of everything else.