A view into the life of a family who encountered a different future than expected, but has become all the richer for it.

Download Heather's NEW Album!!

Download or order a copy of Heather's NEW album Meet Us Here from www.cdbaby.com/heathermessick

Visit Heather's BandPage!!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Six More Weeks

Six more weeks ... that is the magic number! Victoria had her first appointment with her local cardiologist, Dr. David Mayer, and he wants her out of commission for six more weeks to continue her recovery. So, it looks like we will not be taking her out to any public places for a while longer. I'm up to the challenge, though. I've survived this long and I can do it for six more weeks. Piece of cake ... I think!

Dr. Mayer said that Victoria's heart echo today looked great. He said there is very little leakage, which is amazing. Of course, he will watch that as she grows to make sure none of that increases. He wrote down the three defects that were found and repaired in Victoria's heart once her surgery began. Here they are:

1. Endocardial Cushion Defect
2. Atrial Septal Defect
3. Double Outlet Right Ventricle

I'll let you look those up on your own to get the details of what each of those entails. I did find out, however, that the Double Outlet Right Ventricle was not something that Dr. Mayer or the other cardiologist in Birmingham knew about prior to her surgery. Neither of them saw that on the heart echos that were performed. So, that defect was a surprise to the surgeon, Dr. Knott-Craig, as well.

We are still amazed at what God has done in little Victoria's heart and how he has used these intelligent men to help bring healing to her body. We are so thankful for each of them and how they have blessed our lives by blessing our baby.

Dr. Mayer said that he will not need to see Victoria for six weeks. Next week I can discontinue the diuretic but will continue the Captopril (for her blood pressure). She is also taking a thyroid medication. He told me that if she has any fever to call immediately. He said, if she does run fever at any point, to expect to have to take her to the emergency room for immediate tests and blood work to be done to make sure there is no onset of infection. Any medical needs that she has for the next six weeks I am to run through their office to make sure she is on the up and up.

Please continue to pray for complete healing for Victoria. We still have a long road to walk with her recovery, but we are closer than we've been before. Even after I can take her to church with me, I can see myself wanting to be conservative with even letting others hold her at first. We have to be so careful with her right now because of her sternum healing. I wouldn't want someone to pick her up under her arms (which is a "no-no") and injure her in any way. She is still really fragile. I'm sure that with time, I'll be more comfortable with others looking after her for me, but I will take those baby steps much later.

Victoria's weight today was 8 lbs 2 oz. She has gained a few ounces since last week, so we are thankful. Unfortunately, her eye infection is returning. Pray that the drops that I have for her work quickly to resolve that infection.

I have posted a picture today of Dr. David Mayer along with two of his nurses, Kathy and Rachael. They have all been such a huge support for us and we are very thankful for them!

We are thankful, again, for all of the love, support and prayers from all of you! We have been blessed beyond measure during this interesting time in our lives!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

God is an awesome and BIG God! Amen? Praying for Victoria and the family! We love you! Mike and Cindy

Bethany said...

Praying that she continues to heal quickly. What a precious little angel. :)